Monday, July 8, 2013

We're Going on a Road Trip, Part Two

I am so excited about all the things I have put together for the girls for the Road Trip Rewards.  I got a ton of great ideas from Pinterest and thought of some things on my own after scrounging around the house and office for anything random that could be turned into something to amuse a child.  I ended up with a ton of different ideas and really didn't spend a lot of money for any of them.  Below are pictures of each day's Road Trip Rewards and a little description of them.  For each day, I up-cycled Pringles cans and put inside a snack and small toy.  You can't see the snacks in the pictures - just whatever little toy is inside the can.

Travel Day One - Atlanta, GA to St. Louis, MO

1. Coloring Pages - I simply Googled "St. Louis Coloring Pages" and found some fun pages for the kids to color.
2. Coloring Book - I figure these will be good for more than one day.
3. Puzzles - I snapped a picture of the completed puzzle, printed it, and laminated it. Then, I put the pieces in ziploc bags with the picture.  These puzzles will fit on the cookie sheets that they got.  For the 2 year old, I have two four piece puzzles for her to tackle.  The older girls get 48 piece puzzles.
4. Letter Magnets - I was looking for some cheap letter magnets and didn't find any.  However, I found some 3/4 inch magnets with adhesive backs.  I used a square punch to punch different colored squares and then wrote the alphabet on them.  Each girl will get a bag with magnets for all the letters of the alphabet and enough extra letters to spell their whole name.  I figure the big girls can use these to spell words and the little girls can just make pictures out of the magnets.
5.  The Glitter Bag is one of my favorite Pinterest creations - a gallon ziploc bag, a container of Dollar Tree hair gel, and 1/2 cup of glitter - dump it all in the bag, squeeze out the air, and seal it.  I also sealed the top with hot glue as an extra precaution. These bags are a fun tactile toy for the girls.  They have already sneaked a few minutes with them when I was making them.
6.  Slinky - I bought mini Slinky toys and put them in the canister with their snack.
7.  Mystery Movie - I wrapped a total of seven movies for the trip in different colored tissue paper.  When they pull the movie stick, they get to pick the color movie they want- whoever picks the stick gets to open the movie.  I decided to do this so the girls wouldn't fight over the movie that was selected.
8. Peter Pan pages - I just randomly printed off some Peter Pan coloring pages with games on it for the girls to play.
9.  I Spy with My Little Eye (Car Bingo) - I found this printable online for a game of car bingo.  I laminated the sheets, so they could play the game more than once, which is why I was giving it to them on day one.  They can use the dry erase markers to mark off each square. I have a bag of wrapped candy and they get a piece when they get bingo.

Travel Day Two - St. Louis, MO to North Platte, NE 

1. Coloring Pages - This time, I printed pages for Nebraska as well as some other random pages. For the big girls, I printed some different logic games and word finds.
2. Mystery Movie
3. Hair Do Harriet - This is another thing I chose to give them early on because they could use it for several days.  I found these at Michael's for $1.
4. Marshmallows and Toothpicks - This is a snack and activity in one.  They can build something with the supplies or just eat the marshmallows.
5. Window Markers - I figure they can draw on the windows until Brian can't see to drive anymore.
6. Blank Papers and Sticker Dots - I have three different colored dots.  For a game, they will get a sheet of red, blue, and black stickers and a piece of blank paper.  They will guess which color car they think they will see the most of for the next fifteen minutes.  Then, every time they see a car that is red, black or blue, they put a sticker on the paper.  At the end, they can count up and see if their guess was right.
7. Alphabet Search - Again, this is a printable from Pinterest and I laminated the sheet so they could play this game more than once.  Whenever they see the letter on a sign, they cross it off their sheet.  Whoever spies all the letters first wins - of course, everyone will be a winner.
8. Blank Paper - Each day they will get fresh paper for their binder.
9. I'm Going on a Picnic Game - This is the game where you say, "I'm going on a picnic and I am bringing apples...", then the next person repeats what the previous person says and you keep adding on as long as you can until someone forgets one of the items.
10.  Unfortunately, Fortunately Game - I read this somewhere online and thought it was a cute game especially for my imaginative little girls.  Basically, you take turns telling little stories like, "Unfortunately, we are going on a really long road trip, but fortunately my mom loves Pinterest and has lots of great activities planned for us and it is  going to be GREAT!"

Travel Day Three - North Platte, NE to Keystone, SD

1. Mount Rushmore Coloring Pages
2. Mystery Movie
3. Sign Maze - I just liked the road sign theme.
4. Bubbles - I got tiny bottles for them to blow in the car.  I figure this will be especially fun for the two year old.
5. Street Sign Tic Tac Toe - I printed this out from Pinterest as well and laminated it so they could play over and over again.  I also hole punched all these games, so they can stick them in their binders.

Travel Day Four - Keystone, SD to De Smet, SD

1. Little House on the Prairie Coloring Pages
2. More Blank Paper
3. Window Markers - Again!
4. Mystery Movie
5. Publix Dinner Conversation Cards - I got these when I ran the Publix Half-Marathon and they have all kinds of family oriented questions.  The girls love this kind of thing.
6. Bendeez - This is a giveaway item that we had in the office.  They are 18 inch long sticks that bend into whatever shape you want.

Travel Day Five - De Smet, SD to Tulsa, OK

1. Mystery Movies (2) - This is our longest day and we have no planned stops to amuse the kids, so I need lots of entertainment for the ride.
2. Color Game - I basically just punched out circles of all the colors of the rainbow and glued them to a strip of a foam sheet.  Then, I found a bag of little colored clothespins at Michael's with all the same colors.  I figure we can play a game where they have to look for something outside with one of the colors.  The first one to find all six colors wins and we start over.  For the little ones, they can just practice matching the clothespin to the colored circles.
3. Pipe cleaners - They each get a handful to play with and make whatever their little minds can create.
4. Dry Erase Books and a Word Find - I bought Ella a little dry erase board, Cristina a dry erase book with places to trace the alphabet, Charlotte a dry erase math book, and Emma  a word find book.
5. Eraser Puzzles - These are inside the canister with the daily snack.
6. Travel Books from the Chick-fil-A kids meal and a picture book for Ella
7. Magnetic Scene Books for the big girls and a Busy Quiet Time book that I made myself for Ella
8. Road Trip Scavenger Hunt Sheet
9. Coloring Pages with Oklahoma
10. Blank Paper
11. Alphabet Word Game for the big girls and Laminated Name Sheets for the little girls to practice writing their names

Travel Day Six - Tulsa, OK to Mansfield, MO to Atlanta, GA
For the final leg, I plan to recycle some of the games from early in the trip.  We will also be driving a good deal at night, so I am not sure how much we will actually use.
1. Coloring Pages - I printed some of their favorite characters from pbskids.org and nickelodeon
2. Wooden Puzzle for Ella, Minnie Mouse book for Cristina, Addition Practice sheets for Charlotte, and a Crayola activity for Emma
3. Tell Tale game from Chick-fil-A kids meal
4. Sticker Books
5. Mystery Movie
6. Window Paints
7. Publix Dinner Questions
8. Car Color Competition Game
9. I-Spy with My Little Eye Car Bingo
10. Alphabet Game - We will pick a theme and they will have to name something from that theme using every letter of the alphabet. We might have to get creative with x and z.
11. I'm Going on a Picnic Game
12. I-Spy - just the regular version

Whew!  That was a lot of work.  I hope it all pays off.

1 comment:

  1. WOW, you are making this trip so memorable!! Have tons of fun!

    ReplyDelete