Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Birthday Presents

Charlotte's birthday is coming up next week and she is starting to count down the days.  I appreciate the fact that she is starting her countdown a week out as compared with Emma who starts counting down when she has 364 days to go.  Anyway, tonight, I was trying to not so discreetly sway Charlotte's choice of birthday presents.  She really loves to ride on her scooter, but the one she has is broken, so she is always taking Emma's scooter, which results in lots of fights.  So, I asked her, "Wouldn't you like a scooter for your birthday?"  She says, "Yes, I would because my Spiderman scooter is broken.  I'd like a Dora electric scooter."  Whew.

An hour later, Charlotte is talking to me in the bedroom.

Charlotte:  You know what I reallllllllllly, realllllllllllllllly want for my birthday?

Me: What do you really want? 

Charlotte: I want a giant tiger that I can play with and hide under.  I promise it will only be in my room or the playroom.  (Side note: I hate, detest, despise stuffed animals and this is most assuredly the last thing that I want to get Charlotte.) 

Me: Are you sure you want that?  I mean, you have a giant cheetah already.

Charlotte: Well, maybe a zebra.  You know the other thing that I realllllllllllly, reallllllllllllly want? 

Me (hopeful for something less despicable): What?

Charlotte: I really want a pet rabbit.  Just a cute little bunny to play with. (Seriously!? This is worse than the stuffed tiger or zebra.  I am not a fan of animals - stuffed, living, or previously living and now stuffed.)

Me: Are you sure you want a rabbit?  They poop a lot.  Would you clean it up?

Charlotte: You're right.  I want a cat.  A little kitten.  I will discipline it.  It will poop in the toilet.  I will hold it over the toilet when it has to poop.  Then, I won't have to clean anything.  Kittens are better than cats because they don't scratch.  I realllllllllllly want a pet kitten.  Just a little pet kitten.

At this point, I cannot carry on with this conversation.  How is it that Charlotte wants all the things that there is no way in the world I am going to buy her?  I feel bad just knowing that she is not going to get what she wants.  Maybe I'll spring for the electric scooter to ease my guilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment