Saturday, September 3, 2011

Half-Marathon Training: Week 3

Week Three was a little rough for me.  I usually run on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays.  Unfortunately, on Monday, I left a very essential piece of my running wardrobe at home.  (Let's just say I didn't want black eyes.) So, I didn't get my run in on Monday.

On Wednesdays, I have a short window of time to get over to the gym and run in between teaching and a meeting. Since I had to run 3.5 miles on Wednesday, I was really pushing it to finish quickly.  When I got back from the gym, I realized I'd left my keys somewhere at the gym.  I had to dash back over and retrieve them, which left me short on time to eat and change for my meeting.

On Thursday morning, I had the bright idea to make up my run from Monday, so I'd get all the runs in this week.  I got up early and headed out to get it done before work.  I was about 1.5 miles from the house when I had this horrible pain in my left shin.  I started walking - thinking a walk break would help.  So, I walked a quarter of a mile and then went to start running again.  I had this excruciating pain in my shin and couldn't even lift my leg up to run.  I've never in four years had any pain from running, so this was no fun.  I ended up turning around and walking slowly back home.  I was seriously bummed out and worried about my shin.

So, this morning, I was debating if I should go for the five mile run or not.  Since I have Fogleman blood in my veins, I tend to be stubborn, so I decided I'd at least give it a shot.  I figured if my leg was still bothering me, then I'd at least walk the five miles.  Thankfully, my shin was just a tad sore, but there was no shooting pain.  I started out a little slower than I had earlier in the week, so I wouldn't aggravate anything in my leg.  I ended up running 5.73 miles, but took 20 seconds longer per mile than I did last week.  I guess all things considered that wasn't such a bad end to the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment