Wednesday, August 31, 2011

My Own Attempt at being a Stylist

You might recall that a month or so ago, I was lamenting the fact that Cristina gave herself a mullet.  Well, I absolutely hated the mullet look on her.  Then, to make matters worse, she found some scissors on the dining room table and went to town a little more on the front of her hair.  It seems she can't help but cut her hair when she comes across a pair of scissors.  I wish she would have let me get a good picture of it, but this one is the best that I could do - a side view of the mullet before she totally hacked up the front.
On Saturday, I decided that I had enough of my child walking around looking like a hot mess. I decided to take matters - er, scissors- into my own hands.  After all, how much worse could she potentially look?  So, I take Cristina into the bathroom and sit her on the counter.  I wet her hair to make it easier to cut.  She starts wailing like I am going to kill her with the scissors.  You'd think by now she'd be excited to see a pair of scissors. Well, you can only imagine how difficult it is to cut a child's hair while she is wailing and being constantly distracted by her big sisters.  At one point, I yelled at Charlotte to get out of the bathroom and closed - quite loudly! - the door behind her.

It took a few more minutes, but I managed to finish up without hurting myself or Cristina.  I actually was quite proud of the bangs.  I've never done this before, but they looked great with the slight exception of the part that she had previously cut extremely short.  The back was not quite what I had hoped.  One side was slightly longer than the other, but with all her wiggling around I decided I was done for the day.

The next morning, when she was in a better mood, I finished the job.  It ended up quite cute to my relief.  I'm not sure I'll do something like this again in the future, but I was happy to save the $12.99 I would have spent at Great Clips getting them to save the disaster area that was her head.  She actually really likes it. When you ask to see her hair, she'll turn around so you can see the back.  I figure when it grows out some more, I'll take her to a professional to really fix it.  The new hairdo makes her look so much older - no more of the little baby curls in the back.  Anyway, here is the final product. 


1 comment: