Thursday, August 25, 2011

Around the Dinner Table

The girls crack me up sometimes with the things they come up with on their own.  This was our conversation at dinner the other night.

Emma: I don't want to get married when I grow up.

Me: Why not?

Emma: Because when you get married, you have to change your name.  I don't want to change my name.

Me: Well, you don't have to change your name.  You could keep your same name...

Brian: Or you could add a name.  Your mom didn't change her name until we'd been married for over a year.

Emma: No, I'm not getting married.  I'm going to live with Charlotte.

Charlotte: Yes, when we are teenagers, we are going to live together.  I'm going to marry someone I meet, so we can kiss, and have babies.  Emma is going to take care of the babies, cook, and clean.

Emma: I'm really good at taking care of babies.  I'm going to live with Charlotte and never get married.     [They go on and on about this and Brian and I leave the table.  The next part I overhear while feeding Ella in the other room.]

Charlotte: I think you should get married.  If you're gonna live with me, you have to be married.

Emma: No, I do not want to get married.  We already agreed on this and you said I could live with you and take care of your babies.

Charlotte: Well, now you have to get married to live with me.

Emma: Forget about it then.  I'm just going to live in this house with Mom.....or maybe we'll get another house with stairs and I'll have my own room upstairs.  I'm not getting married and living with you.  I'm not taking care of your kids.

I'm thinking Charlotte blew it!  Emma is really good with babies and would have been a big help for the teenage couple.

No comments:

Post a Comment