Thursday, August 18, 2011

Girls Fight Back

So, every now and then, I find myself about to embark on my long commute home and realize that I have no magazine, library book, or educational articles to read on the train.  When this happens, I will scan the bookshelf in my office to see if there is anything I haven't read there.  Now, I've done this so many times that I have read about 99.9% of the books on the shelf.  Last week, when I found myself in this situation, I grabbed a book that I had received in the mail called Girls Fight Back by Erin Weed.  The book was sent as a promotional item to encourage bookings for Erin Weed.

I started reading the book when I got on the train and apparently I got so engrossed in it that I didn't even realize the train had reached the end of the line.  I glanced up to see a lady that always gets off at the same stop as me walking off the train.  It was then that I realized I'd better get moving before I got shuttled back to work.

The author of the book was inspired to get involved with teaching women self-defense after a sorority sister was murdered.  The book is filled with various scenarios that women face and tips on keeping yourself safe.  It was not the kind of a book that a mom with four daughters should read.  As a woman, I already imagine all sorts of terrible predicaments that I could get into.  Even thinking about these things happening to my girls makes me feel sick to my stomach.  It also makes me mad that we live in a world where women are constantly blamed for bringing violence on themselves.

I was reading this book the same time that I was reading various articles on oppression for a class I'll be teaching this fall.  I'm not sure if it was the combination of this or just some bad luck that I've had this week, but I have been up in arms about white men this week.  I've decided in the span of a week that white men are some of the most inconsiderate and oblivious people on the planet.  I guess it is the white male privilege that contributes to their living in oblivion.

My first example of this is a frequent occurrence on the MARTA. White men have no sense of personal space when they sit next to you.  They will practically sit on you when they choose a seat next to you.  While half-sitting on you, they will pull out their sleek laptops and set up shop.  Or they will open a newspaper wide and read it, while periodically poking you with their elbows.  I get annoyed just seeing one headed in my direction on the train.  Other women and men are much more cognizant of staying in their own space on the train. It's really not that difficult of a concept.  Perhaps the white man can be taught.

My second example comes from my track rage the other day.  I was spending my lunch hour running the track and was trying to see if I could improve my 5K time on the track.  So, I'm running in circles for about 20 laps and feeling good because I am about one to two minutes ahead of my time.  Then, I come around the track and the clock is at 00:12.  I am FURIOUS!  Ahead of me are four older white men in business attire casually walking around the track and one lone white male jogging. So, I first ask the lone jogger if he reset the clock and he says that he never uses the clock.  I go around again and I hear one of the walking suits say, "how many times have we gone around now?" Another one says, "I reset the timer, so we can just check it."  Never mind that there is a sign right by the timer that clearly states, "Please do not reset the timer when others are on the track."  So, because I am heated over this, I have a few words with them.  They just smirk at me without apologizing. Seriously, white men can you just not think about yourself for a minute?!



1 comment:

  1. Kristina, I have found, while in Vegas, that white men from Australia are much more polite than Americans. A group of 4 came and stood near me while watching the Bellagio fountains and one man stood directly in front of me. Before I had a chance to have my usual reaction (muttering about white male privilege) he apologized and moved out of the way AND made sure he repositioned himself in a way that he was not in anyone's way. Another set from Australia excused themselves while weaving through moving walkway traffic, rather than barreling through everyone yelling obscenities like the rest of the drunken ogres I've been elbowed by here.

    If you haven't yet, you may enjoy reading Guyland by Michael Kimmel (http://www.guyland.net/). I loved it.

    ReplyDelete