Monday, August 15, 2011

First Day of School

Today was the first day of school for Emma and Charlotte.  Emma, the seasoned second grader, was ready to go back to school and see her friends again.  Charlotte was absolutely beside herself with excitement to finally be going to school.  Over the weekend, I switched the clothes in Charlotte's drawer from 4T to 5T, since she has recently grown half a foot.  She told me all weekend that she was excited to wear stylish clothes, go to school, and be fashionable like Emma.  I'm a little nervous about her taking her fashion cues from Emma, but I digress.

The girls were both up early and dressed before I even came out of the bedroom. Despite the fact that everyone was ready early, Emma still missed her bus.  Mr. Taylor, her cranky bus driver, did the same thing last year - showed up five minutes early and left half the kids stranded.  We drove Emma to school and she hopped out to go into school.  I forgot to remind her that she wasn't riding the bus home, so I jumped out the car to yell and remind her.  Clearly, I committed a cardinal sin.  Emma looked at me like I had grown an extra arm and said, "I know."
(Side note: Emma's lips are really chapped, which is why she looks like she is making a creepy face in this picture.)

After dropping Emma off, it was Charlotte's turn to go to KinderCare.  I was wondering how she would do considering that she has never been in day care or spent any significant time away from home in a structured environment.  When we walked into her school, she walked right up to her teacher, Ms. Shuli, and gave her a hug.  Then, she grabbed this abacus off a shelf, sat down at a table, and started playing.  She didn't seemed concerned at all that we were leaving her!
I remember a few years back taking Emma to her first day of pre-K.  Leading up to it, I felt totally fine about it.  I knew should would like it and I was sure she'd be well behaved.  (I am a little more worried about Charlotte's behavior.)   I dropped her off and as I was walking out the school, I suddenly was overcome with emotion and started crying.  I realized that it was the first time in her life that I wouldn't know what she did all day.  When the girls are at home, Brian can fill me in on all the excitement of their day. Now, I would have to rely on them to share with me what they did during the day.

This is my biggest problem with school.....well, maybe it is a problem with the girls.  Getting them to share what happened at school isn't easy.  When I asked Charlotte this evening, she told me she couldn't remember.  Emma had a few more details, but even she didn't have a lot to share.  Brian did get some details from Charlotte's teacher.   Charlotte was well-behaved (whew!) and the only kid that sat still and listened to the story during story time.  On the other hand, when Brian walked in, Charlotte was yelling at some boy, "Give it back!  You snatched it from me!"  Now, that is the Charlotte I know and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment