Saturday, August 27, 2011

Half-Marathon Training: Week Two

Week Two was a definite improvement over last week.  I learned from my mistake last week and made sure to get up earlier for my longer run today.  I also took a bottle of water with me.  These little changes resulted in me finishing my run today without feeling like I was going to die of heat exhaustion.  I used the same workout I created in my Garmin last week again today.  When I finished, I had gone .26 miles farther than last week, was .1 second faster, and shaved 55 seconds off of my mile average.  I was pretty happy with the result.  I'm still a good ways away from my goal pace, but I felt like that was good progress for a week.

The other two runs, I did on the track at the gym.  It was a little crowded on the track, since all the students are back on campus.  I had to dodge a few girls in sandals strolling around the track gawking at the guys below playing basketball.  Otherwise, the runs on the track went well and I shaved almost five minutes off my total run time.  I was reminded today that it is much harder running outside than on a flat, air-conditioned track!

Next week, the Saturday run is supposed to be 5 miles.  I finished 4.79 miles today, so next week shouldn't kill me - assuming that I don't screw up the Garmin workout and end up setting it up to run 6 miles!

No comments:

Post a Comment