Friday, June 24, 2011

Alone Time: Rated PG-13

Late one evening recently, Brian and I are sitting in the livingroom in a semi-quiet moment.  Emma, Charlotte, and Cristina are all in bed, but Ella is up and being her general fussy little self.  Brian says, "I wonder when we'll have alone time again."  Translation: When will we ever have sex again?  My answer, "In about 15 months.  Think about it, all our kids are 27 months apart, so that must be when we get alone time again."  Brian says: "When Ella is 16 months old, I'm getting checked again."  With our birth control luck, I'm thinking that isn't a bad idea. 

I sometimes wonder how it is possible that we've had four kids.  Finding alone time when you have a house full of children is a little tricky.  It was easier when it was just Emma - wait until the kid is asleep and you're home free.  You might think that it is okay to engage in a little "alone time" when the kids are entertaining themselves, but I would caution this thinking.  As young parents, we once made the mistake of trying to sneak in a little afternoon "alone time" when Emma was happily playing in her room.  Seeing her little head peeking over the bed with her saying, "oh, oh," put an end to that naive thinking. 

In recent history, it has been even more difficult to find alone time.  I may regret sharing this, but it still makes me laugh.  A few months ago, poor Brian and I were desperate for some alone time, but the children were not cooperating.  We had a few minutes alone in our room and were thinking about "alone time" when Emma comes in and asks what we are doing.  So, I tell her, "Mommy and Daddy are trying to have a very important conversation.  Would you help us out by watching Charlotte and Cristina until we are finished.  I'll give you a dollar."  Now, Emma is a sucker for a dollar.  Her favorite store is the Dollar Tree and a dollar means a trip to paradise for her.  So, she is an eager volunteer.  We lock the bedroom door.  Best dollar ever spent.

3 comments:

  1. Best dollar you ever spent! I love it! I am reading this while Doug wants alone time.
    I love the blog! Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kate! Glad y'all enjoyed this post.

    ReplyDelete