Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Little House on the Praire

I hope you aren't expecting a post about the Ingalls family.  This isn't really about the Ingalls.  It's just one of my crazy thought chains.  I was randomly thinking about Little House on the Praire, which got me thinking about family.  Then, I got depressed because we don't live near family. It made me wish I could move closer to family.  Or better yet, my family could all move to Atlanta.  That would be perfect.

It's tough raising children without family nearby.  The kids don't have cousins nearby to play with or grandparents who can come to school plays and dance recitals.  Brian and I have no one that we can drop the kids with on short notice, so we can go out on our own. Sometimes it feels really lonely.  Well, as lonely as you can feel with a house full of children.

When I was a kid, I grew up in the same town as both sets of grandparents and a mess of aunts, uncles, cousins, and extended family.  We were always going to Grandma's house for dinner - feasting on fried chicken and macaroni and cheese.  We spent summers playing outside with our cousins where we created all sorts of crazy games.  We watched old movies with my grandparents - Gone with the Wind, The Sound of Music, and The Parent Trap.

It makes me sad that my kids won't have the same experiences.  If only we lived on a big homestead out on the praire.....

No comments:

Post a Comment