Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The Long Commute

If you've spent any time around me, you know I have a long commute because I'm always whining about it.  Waaaaaahhhhh....I have to leave my house at the crack of dawn to ride to the bus stop to catch the bus to catch the train to finish with a brisk walk to work.  Waaaaaaahhhh....I have to do it in reverse to get home.  I spend a lot of time traveling with the other commuters in the Atlanta metro area. 

In my quest to live in the moment and not dream about the day that I have a helicopter and personal pilot to drop me at work, I've been thinking about the perks of public transportation.  I've determined the main perk is the opportunity for people watching.  I've been riding the MARTA for almost two years and I have a few favorites on my daily route.

There is the man who works for the water department.  He has gigantic ears, a long ponytail and a giant bald spot in the middle of his head.  I'd really like to tell him that the long hair does not distract from the bald spot.  In fact, it makes it a little more obvious.

There is the woman with an abundant amount of hair who jumps out of her seat when the train reaches the end of the line.  She rushes to the door often knocking people with her bag, so she can be the first off the train.  For the longest time, I thought she was the rudest person ever.  Last week, she was sitting next to me and told me that she likes this particular seat because she can get off the train fast.  She said that she is afraid of being in the middle of the crowd when going down the stairs to the exit.  Okay. 

However, my personal favorite is Jeffrey Dahmer.   Well, not THE Jeffrey Dahmer, but a guy that bears a resemblance.  For the longest time, Brian and I were calling this guy Jeffrey Dahmer. Jeff has a habit of staring at people on the bus.  One day, I told Brian he was staring at me - probably thinking that my breasts would make a nice snack and my hips would be great on the barbeque.  Well, one day, something happened that really made me think I commute with Jeffrey Dahmer. 

It's Friday morning and Jeff is at the bus stop with a cooler.  He gets on the bus in front of me and the driver says, "ahh, you got some cold ones in there?!"  Jeff responds as if he is not amused at the idea, "It's nothing like that."  Okay, you can't convince me that the cooler was filled with anything other than elbows and toes. 

3 comments:

  1. love. it. i've been toying with a move to atl, and you may have just pushed me over the fence. though i could never describe the marta denizens with such flair. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Atlanta. I just wish my house was closer to my work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - that's just about all I can say about this! :)
    Emily Fiore

    ReplyDelete