Wednesday, July 27, 2011

My Little Stylists

I'm not sure what it is with kids and scissors, but apparently the combination results in an intense desire to cut and style one's own hair.  At this point, Emma, Charlotte and Cristina have all tried out the role of hairdresser. 

Just before Emma went to pre-K, she was scrapbooking in the room with me.  At one point, I realized that she had gotten really quiet.  I turned to ask her what she was doing. Her response, "well, I'm not cutting my hair," contradicted what I saw - her hair chopped off to her ears on one side.

Charlotte was about three when she decide to trim her hair.  When I asked her if she cut her hair, she said, "no, I just cut the knots out."  Nice.

Now, Cristina has taken the hair cutting to a whole new level.  A few months back, she gave herself bangs.  About a week ago, I noticed that hair on one side of her face was shorter than normal.  I asked her if she cut her hair and she said, "yes."  This week, she has been at it again.  I wish my camera was working because I would love for you all to see the mullet that she now has after cutting the hair on both sides of her face.  Today, Cristina decided to cut Charlotte's hair, while Charlotte was otherwise distracted.  Charlotte was devastated and said, "Cristina ruined my beautiful hair." 

I wish I could say this was the first time that Charlotte's beautiful hair was cut by a sibling, but it is not.  Just before Charlotte turned one, I came home from work one day and saw that all Charlotte's curls were gone.  I asked Brian, "What were you doing when Emma cut Charlotte's hair?"  He was oblivious until I pointed out Charlotte's curls covering the back of her little hair.

You might be wondering at this point why we let the children have scissors. Well, we believe in letting our children develop their fine motor skills.  Emma's pre-K teacher was extremely impressed with Emma's cutting skills - the accuracy and speed were unmatched in her class.  We're hoping for similar results with the rest of them......or maybe we just aren't good at hiding scissors.

No comments:

Post a Comment