Sunday, July 3, 2011

The Truth and Nothing But The Truth

One of the things that I love about kids is their brutal honesty. You rarely have to guess what kids are thinking because they are more than willing to put it all out there.  Of course, there are times that I wish the girls had filters to make the truth a little less harsh - just so they didn't come across as rude.

This morning, we went to church with my parents.  The girls are not overly fond of my parents' church as it isn't particularly kid friendly.  Emma swears that every time they go to church with Papaw and Nana they don't get home until midnight.  She thinks the services last too long and the preacher is too loud.

Today, I was sitting next to Charlotte, who leaned over and told me, "I brought these things that aren't boring, so I don't have to listen to him."  She spent some time looking at a book she'd brought with her and doodling on some paper.  After awhile, she pulled her legs up against her chest, pulled her skirt over her legs, put her head back, and fell asleep for awhile.  Then, when the service was almost over she says, "This is the part where we get to leave, but not until Nana lets us."  She didn't leave a lot of doubt in my mind about how she felt about church this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment